God's Surprise

For a really, really long time, I've been praying that God would send a baby to our family.

Not very long ago, Daddy reminded me of the story of Abraham and Sarah. They prayed and prayed for a baby. And then, even though they were very old, God surprised them with a baby. If you don't know the story, you can read it right here in my Storybook Bible.



Daddy and Mommy and I had been thinking that we would adopt our baby.  But, God surprised us, and he grew a tiny baby in Mommy's tummy instead!  (And they're not even as old as Abraham and Sarah.)  When Daddy and Mommy told me about God's surprise, I got a big smile on my face, and I said, "May I please see it."  I learned that I can't see it yet, but I can pat the baby while it's inside of Mommy's tummy.  

Just about every day, I ask Mommy, "May I please see how big the baby is," and then Mommy shows me with her fingers.  And then I say, "May I please give the baby a pat-pat."  And of course Mommy lets me.

I got to tell some of my grandparents about our baby on the phone.  I said, "There's a tiny baby growing in Mommy's tummy.  God surprised us with a baby!"  We are all very excited.

Even though she's excited, Mommy has not been feeling well lately.  She has been laying on the couch a lot.  I have been helped her by asking her if she'd like to get covered with a blanket.  Then, if I have something to say to her while she's resting, I only whisper, since we all know that whispering will not wake someone up.  She has been eating and drinking strange things to make her tummy feel better, and she's been sleeping during my nap.  She says she has started to feel a little better during the last couple of days.

Today, Mommy and Daddy got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time.  They cried tears of joy, which is something that only grownups do.  They have been telling me lots of stories about what it was like when I was the one in Mommy's tummy.  The baby is about an inch long now from its head to its bottom, and we have to wait until after I'm four to see it-probably at the beginning of March.  For now, we are praying that the baby will be safe and healthy.  We still want to adopt a baby into our family someday, but in the meantime, we're super excited about this one:  God's surprise.

10 comments:

Allison Bellomy said...

what a wonderful surprise from God! I have been praiyng for your family and God's plan for more children...what exciting news! I don't know if I have ever commented here, but I have been a reader since right before y'all left for CA. So thrilled for your family...congrats!

The VM Family said...

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME!! We were thinking about you today and so happy to hear about the healthy heartbeat. It's fun to read about Jonathan's reaction.

Love, Jen

PS We still claim childcare for the next appointment! :)

Ava said...

So So So So Happy for YOU!
We love you and are praying for that sweet baby!

Karyn said...

Yippee!!! Congratulations!!! We are so happy for you!!!

Love, Karyn, James, Jamey, and Jack
(and Norah-the-dog and Lucy-the-fish)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I am so excited for you. I have been praying for you and your next baby for a long time!!

Rhonda Rush

Tony said...

a woo hoo.

The Frugal Muse said...

Awesome. Have my own little tears of joy again as I read your post. Couldn't be more thrilled for the three of you. Seriously, COULDN'T be more thrilled!!

Dorothy said...

Jonathan,
You are going to be such a great big brother!

Amy,
I hope you continue to feel better. I can't imagine having to take care of a little guy while growing a baby! That first trimester, taking care of myself was hard enough. For some reason, limes REALLY helped me. I ate them like oranges throughout my pregnancy. Something about that sour flavor really helped calm my queasy stomach...

With much love and excitement for you,
Dorothy

Holly said...

I got chills reading your post! That's soooo awesome. God is good. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! He truly does work in mysterious ways! :) When you meet your newest little one and later your adopted child, it'll all make sense. Congratulations!

With Love,
Kris, Eric and Cole