Works for Me: No-Mess Cupcake Eating

Jonathan's mom here.  Preschoolers love eating cupcakes...but the frosting can create a disaster, right?  Well, I learned a yummy and neat way of eating cupcakes from my brother this weekend.  Special thanks to him, and also to my sister who made the spice cupcakes!

Start with the cupcake.

Unwrap it and cut off the bottom half-or break it off with your fingers.

Stack the bottom half onto the top half.  (Now, looking at the picture, I see that I should have flipped the bottom piece-now on the top-over, so that the non-crumbly side would face out.  Just pretend that I did that, OK?)


Flip the sandwich over so that the crumbly side is facing up and the frosting is in the middle.  It's easy for kids and grownups to hold, and you won't have frosting everywhere.  You'll probably have a few crumbs...but that's better than sticky frosting, right?

For an amazing assortment of tips, or to add your own, visit Works for Me Wednesday.   Thanks to Shannon for hosting!

11 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

who would have thunk it? that's a great tip!

my daughter's preschool has outlawed cupcakes due to the mess...do you think i should pass this tip along to her teacher?!?

Lynn said...

This is really nifty! Great idea.

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! But what do you do for those kids who eat JUST the frosting???

Land of Lovings said...

My sister had cupcakes instead of wedding cake at her wedding and the bakery said this is "the only way" a cupcake should be eaten!

As the mom of a 2 and 4-year-old I completely agree! (Plus, don't they just taste better this way?)

I've tried to tell other people about it and they usually think I'm crazy. Maybe I just need to send them the link to your photo tutorial! : )

Great post!

Sarah said...

Love the tutorial!!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Thanks!

Lynn said...

I never would have thought of that. Thanks.

The Zandi Zoo said...

Didn't think about that. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, thanks for the tip, I love it....

Stephanie D said...

Instead of having two crumby sides, why not just flip the top half over?

And why did someone wait 'til my daughter was 30 years old to tell me about this???? lol

Anonymous said...

I started doing this to pack pieces of cake into sack lunches, that way the frosting didn't stick to the wrap, but for some reason, never thought about doing it for cupcakes! Great tip! Also, we use coffee filters for shaped napkins/crumb catchers. Works for me!